The Pax were 7 strong for a special Speed in prep of college basketball’s midnight madness.
mosey to the bus lot for COP
SSH x 20
with a basketball for 1 min each: figure eights, around the waist, around the ankle, waist, head in rotating fashion, figure eights dribbling
17s – speed dribble bus parking lanes 17 x
tip drills – two line tip drill off the backboard. if the ball hits the ground or a Pax is touching the ground with the ball in hand, 5 burpees for the entire team. Turned into one line after 5 minutes of chaos.
layup lines, right side then left.
Jump shot lines, right side then left.
Shot fake with closing in defender, right side then left.
4 spot passing drill on the blocks and elbows.
3 man weave with finishing layup
2 man sliding passing drill, with finishing layup.
4 games of intense knockout
Like any good finishing practice, 2 free throws per Pax, 3 burpees per missed free throw.
1. Skipper dressed the part today and looked like Will Ferrell in Semi-Pro. Priceless.
2. Special guest appearance by Pony Boy, apparently because he knew it was not a traditional Speed workout. Next week we’ll tell him the same.
3. I’ve never been so excited to see The Nanny mobile rolling in, because he made 6 which we needed for even 3 man weave teams. Then Ironhide popped in to give us a cushion. And we needed it after an ankle injury incurred during one of the drills. Prayers for a quick recovery and in hopes it wasn’t a serious injury.
4. Thanks to the Pax for joining in one of my favorite, non-traditional speed workouts. It only happens 2x a year!
5. Awards for the morning: Best layups and appearance: Skipper. Best passing drill execution: Shazam. Best tip drill presence: Ironhide. Best jump shot form and dirty defense: Pony Boy. Best consistent knock performance because his 2.0s beat him in his driveway: The Nanny. Best attitude and most entertaining: SNARE!
Have a great day!