It is Finished (John 19:30) – Second Annual Good Friday Commemoration
In the gloom of this Good Friday morning, the PAX of Skywalker assembled to commemorate our Lord and Savior on this Holy Week. From riding into Jerusalem on Sunday to clearing the Temple on Monday to prophesying at the Mount of Olives on Tuesday to the plotting by His betrayer on Wednesday to the Last Supper on Thursday to His arrest and crucifixion on Friday, Jesus walked in perfect obedience to God the Father. Today, we honored the events that transpired on that Good Friday as Jesus paid the ultimate sacrifice for our sins. Here is how it went down…
- 9 SSH
- 9 Windmils
- 9 Old School Rocking Chairs
- 9 ISS
Each person retrieved a cinder block to carry with them throughout the duration of the workout, in remembrance of Jesus and Simon carrying the Cross.
INTRODUCTION READING: “Jesus had come into Jerusalem on Psalm Sunday, arriving for Passover in fulfillment of the Scriptures. On Thursday he has the Last Supper with the 12 Disciples. That night he is betrayed by Judas and arrested by the Sanhedrin. The next day, Good Friday, Jesus ultimately stands trial before Pilate who, bowing to pressure from the Temple leadership and crowds, sentences him to be crucified.”
Mosey to intersection of Hillspring and Greenpoint Lane. The intersection forms a cross and the workouts began in the center of the cross and then extended to each end of the cross to make for a total of 7 exercise stations (including returns to the center of the cross). The cinder blocks were carried to each station where an exercise was conducted before proceeding back to the center station and out again to another station. Scripture was read prior to each series of workouts.
MATHEW 27:27-31 “Then the governor’s soldiers took Jesus into the Praetorium and gathered the whole company of soldiers around him. They stripped him and put a scarlet robe on him, and then twisted together a crown of thorns and set it on his head. They put a staff in his right hand. Then they knelt in front of him and mocked him. “Hail, king of the Jews!” they said. They spit on him, and took the staff and struck him on the head again and again. After they had mocked him, they took off the robe and put his own clothes on him. Then they led him away to crucify him.”
- Run the 7 stations of the cross with the cinder block and complete 9 merkins at each station
MATHEW 27:32-37 “As they were going out, they met a man from Cyrene, named Simon, and they forced him to carry the cross. They came to a place called Golgotha (which means “the place of the skull”). There they offered Jesus wine to drink, mixed with gall; but after tasting it, he refused to drink it. When they had crucified him, they divided up his clothes by casting lots. And sitting down, they kept watch over him there. Above his head they placed the written charge against him: This Is Jesus, the King of the Jews”
- Run the 7 stations of the cross with the cinder block and complete 9 CDDs at each station
MATHEW 27:45-54 ” From noon until three in the afternoon darkness came over all the land. About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” (which means “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”). When some of those standing there heard this, they said, “He’s calling Elijah.” Immediately one of them ran and got a sponge. He filled it with wine vinegar, put it on a staff, and offered it to Jesus to drink. The rest said, “Now leave him alone. Let’s see if Elijah comes to save him.” And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit. At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook, the rocks split and the tombs broke open. The bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. They came out of the tombs after Jesus’ resurrection and went into the holy city and appeared to many people. When the centurion and those with him who were guarding Jesus saw the earthquake and all that had happened, they were terrified, and exclaimed, “Surely he was the Son of God!””
- Run the 7 stations of the cross with the cinder block and complete 9 Burpees at each station
MATHEW 27:57-60 “As evening approached, there came a rich man from Arimathea, named Joseph, who had himself become a disciple of Jesus. Going to Pilate, he asked for Jesus’ body, and Pilate ordered that it be given to him. Joseph took the body, wrapped it in a clean linen cloth, and placed it in his own new tomb that he had cut out of the rock. He rolled a big stone in front of the entrance to the tomb and went away.”
- Run with cinder blocks and return to storage area by Golf Club
- OYO LBCs
- 9 Pretzel Crunch each side
- 9 Mexican Twists
- Great work glorifying our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ this morning!
- Jesus died on the cross at the ninth hour (hence our 9 reps) as an atonement for the sins of the world.
- However, that was Friday….BUT SUNDAY IS COMING!
- On Sunday, the rock is gone from the entrance of the cave and the tomb is EMPTY!
- Jesus is resurrected in fulfillment of the scriptures. He is alive. He has conquered death, sin and the grave. God gave up his only Son – all so that we may have eternal life
- We do not deserve it. We cannot earn it. It is by Grace alone through Faith alone in Christ alone that we are saved.
- While many in this world are facing poor health, sickness and even earthly death, there are MILLIONS in this world that are spiritually dead apart from Jesus.
- My prayer during this Holy Week is that hearts/minds/eyes will be opened to the truth of the Gospel, people will repent from their sins and surrender their life to our Lord and Savior
- Happy Easter Everyone!!
Wishing you all the best of recoveries,