Journey to Highlands’ Five Points
A while back, our esteemed colleague @barrister Q’d a workout he dubbed Highlands’ Chicken Foot near the golf course. After the workout, it was decided that name wouldn’t work, as there’s only one Chicken Foot and this wasn’t it.
Since then, YHC occasionally thinks of things to name the area just past the clubhouse, where the cart path diverges to go to #10, #18 Green, the driving range, and the greenway toward Cambridge Bay. This morning, it came to me: Five Points.
For the uninitiated (and those who don’t like long, historical dramas directed by Martin Scorsese), the Five Points was a neighborhood in 19th and early 20th century Manhattan. It was defined by its neighborhood square being at the intersection of two cross streets with a third street that ended in the intersection. Hence, Five Points. It was a densely populated slum, known for its high crime rate, and made famous in the aforementioned film Gangs of New York. Now, I think the Civic Center is there.
Anyway, seems like as good a name as any, so it’s what YHC decided to christen today’s workout. Eight gathered in The Gloom, a solid disclaimer was given, and off we moseyed out of the rabbit hole and over to the golf course for…
- SSH x19
- IST x15
- Weed Picker x10
- Windmill x10
- Mountain Climber x15
Mosey down to the Five Points for…
As we had a perfect number for splitting into four groups, Pax were instructed to partner up as YHC explained the beatdown. You and your partner were to run down each of the four assigned paths, do the exercise at the end and return to the center, where you did 25 LBCs before heading to the next path (moving clockwise). Paths were:
- Down toward #10 for five burpees at the bridge
- Down toward #18 for 10 lunges (each leg) at the ‘Y’
- Up to the club house for 15 merkins
- Down toward the driving range to the top of the first hill for 20 squats
We then moseyed back toward the Parkway and across to the Alcatraz rail for some in cadence work:
- Incline Merkins x15
- Dips x15
- Incline Merkins x10
- Dips x10
- Decline Merkins x5
- Dips x5
- Mosey through the bus lot back to the front of the school for…
- Pretzel Crunch x12 (each leg)
- Low Flutter x20
- Squirm x15
- Mason Twist x15
- The W x15
- Great work today gentlemen. Today’s workout should have provide good opportunity for 1st and 2nd F. I know it was good to get to know @shazam a little more than I did.
- Prayers for @poutine father-in-law who continue to battle health issues, as well as their family.
- Prayers for @snowsuit as he continue to fight off Covid.
- Prayers for @firechicken, a North MeCa pax who lost his father this week.
- This month’s community initiative is the Hope Street Food Pantry, which is in need of diapers (size 4-6), pasta, pasta sauce, ramen noodles, and mac-and-cheese. They accept any non-perishable food items as well as money as well, those above are just what they need most right now. @poutine will collect items every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday at beatdowns.
- Keep thinking of other causes you’d like us to take on, as we will pick a new one each month.
- Be the leaders our community needs us to be today and everyday.