Thankfully No One Came Together
When you Q a workout that prominently features a wet sack of balls there are unlimited possibilities for the backblast title. Thanks to the PAX at Comanche for giving me some new material. Ten men showed up in a steady rain at HCES this morning and were surprised to be greeted with yet another disastrous beatdown. Most of them were expecting to face the challenge of @Brinkley’s burpee mile. But due to the inclement weather we made some last minute changes and pushed the mile back to next Thursday January 10. Once European traveler @Pavarotti finished his thinly shaved breakfast meats and a quick unfiltered cigarette, a disclaimer was given and the PAX were off for a quick mosey to….
Mosey about 100 feet to the portico in front of the elementary school
- SSH IC X 15
- IST IC X 14
- CP IC X 13
- MC IC X 12
- Merkins IC X 11
In an effort to keep the PAX as dry as possible, I retrieved my favorite bag of ping pong balls from the F3 box of fun I store in my trunk for another game of the lethal lottery. The PAX take turns pulling a numbered ball out of the bag and complete the assigned exercise as follows:
- Ten Burpees
- Fifteen Partner Declined Merkins
- Twenty Imperial Storm Troopers
- Twenty Five Monkey Humpers
- Thirty Merkins
- Thirty Lunges (single leg)
- Forty Air Squats
- Forty Reverse Crunch
- Fifty Mountain Climbers
- Fifty Freddy Mercury
- Fifty Little Baby Crunch
- Twenty Carolina Dry Docks (replacing missing ball #3)
There are also two evil black balls in the bag that require the PAX to run a lap around the parking lot (in the rain) and return to the portico. Each Q can decide whether exercises are done in cadence or on your own and can make modifications as needed. The only rule is that there are no back-to-back exercises allowed. @Pavarotti apparently forgot how to call cadence after taking three weeks off from F3, while @Sparky somehow transformed into a Mississippi Drill Sergeant during his cadence. At 610AM YHC (mercifully) called time after three full rotations through the group.
- Run a quick half lap around the parking lot (ignoring the cries of outrage from the PAX)
- Spider Man Merkins (salute to @Gump) up the stairs and air squats at the top before returning to the dryness of the portico
- Low Flutter IC X 15 (Brinkley)
- The W IC X 19 (Disaster, happy new year)
OOT (Oval of Trust) BOM and Prayer
- As usual, the exercise regimen turned out to be completely irregular, with a significant number of Imperial Storm Troopers (mostly by @Nanny) and Mountain Climbers (mostly by @Sparky). I don’t think we had any LBC and only one set of merkins. Overall the PAX got a pretty complete workout though. @Brinkley caught me peeking into the bag to find a black ball to make sure we got some running in. Fortunately the rain wasn’t too heavy so no one got soaked.
- @Nanny continued to make 2019 the “Year of the Rucksack” by hiking the full 1.5 miles from his house and back in complete outdoor gear. His wet twenty pound hiking boots didn’t do him any favors on the IST and MC though and the heavy thuds could be heard throughout Highland Creek. Look for complaints about the noise on Next Door later today.
- @Pavarotti gave us a complete update on what’s what in Europe this morning. We learned that there is little outdoor/park space, lots of unfiltered cigarettes, small hotel rooms, hard tile floors in Italy, and strange thinly sliced meats and cheeses served at breakfast. Along the way he managed to complete the Triple Nickel even after losing one day for travel and another day for a poorly-communicated elimination of December 31 from the challenge. Well done sir.
- Don’t forget to sign up for The Gremlin and the Winter Gala if you haven’t done so already. Gremlin shirts are also on sale. Details can be found on Slack or on the weekly email.
- Sign Up Genius is looking really empty for January. Please sign up to Q if you haven’t done so lately. I will be bringing the clipboard out again next week if I don’t see some new names popping up soon.
- January is always a great time to EH a neighbor, co-worker, or friend who wants to get in shape without paying to join a gym. Keep an eye out for someone that would benefit from joining F3. There are plenty of veteran guys who could use some encouragement to come back out as well.
- Thanks to everyone who showed up in the rain today. It ended up being a lot of fun and we got plenty of second F in under the shelter. As always, it is an honor to lead the PAX.