NC Highway 51 Ruck Challenge
!!! Updated 09/14/18!!!
Sure to hurricane Florence, this event is being rescheduled. No event tonight
Sometimes a challenge sits there staring at you in the face till you decide to do something about it. This is us doing something about it.
- Who: F3nation (and FIAnation if they so desire)
- What: Ruck the entire length of NC Highway 51 from end to end. (strava route https://www.strava.com/routes/14603141)
- When: Friday September 14, 900pm to Saturday September 15, 900am
- Where: Welcome Party starts at 900pm near the northern end (Final Destination) (exact location is subject to change, based on parking and shuttling requirements, all updates will be posted here!!)
- How: Rucking, with Pain Stations along the way
- Why: Because it’s there and it needs to be done. It’s a classic CSAUP.
- RSVP using this SUG link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0549aea92aa64-nc51
- Ruck minimums: at least 20lbs for pax weighing less than 150lbs. At least 30lb for pax weighing more than 150lbs.
This event is F3 CSAUP and as such it is voluntary, free, peer-led, subject to changing weather conditions, and guaranteed to be long. Furthermore, this event is not professionally planned or guided, and has no affiliation from GoRuck or its leadership.
Basic General and non-binding Event Description:
The defined course will travel from the southern extent of the route and to its end in the north overnight. Since this route is not a loop, but instead a line, participants are encouraged to park near the finish. From the southern end, participants will depart in squads heading north along the highway to its end in Mint Hill.
Participants need to pay attention; the course is South to North but the welcome party, staging, and shuttling will happen near the finish of the course, at the northern end. Participants need to RSVP so we can better prepare the shuttle to the southern end.
Participants should expect Urban/SubUrban terrain and be adequately self-prepared for weather conditions throughout the night. They should also expect pain stations and long distances under weight at various paces.
Please include any skills in basic first aid, advanced first aid, emergency medical training in the comments section of the RSVP.
Volunteers are also needed to manage set-up, cleanup, hydration, emergencies, encouragement, and shuttling.
Since this is an uban/suburban course, along the route are several all-night and late night stores and depots for any needs that might arise along the way. Participants are encouraged to self-prepare so that these conveniences are not needed, but they will be there.
At the finish, in Mint Hill, all participants and volunteers are encouraged to converge at the local watering hole, Vintner’s Hill Wine and Coffee bar, for breakfast, coffee, refreshments, and libations.
The North Carolina section of Highway 51 is 22.2 miles long, starting at the NC/SC state line near Pineville and proceeding north till it ends at Albemarle Rd in Mint Hill. The total length of this route runs through 4 regions of F3nation; F3MECA, F3Area51, F3SOB, and F3TheFort.