One of the best kept car camping secrets in North Carolina is the Montreat Campground in Black Mountain. It is so good and so secret, I can’t believe I am even telling you about it. I have personally camped there dozens of times and almost refuse to go anywhere else – it is that good. Get your camping checklist spreadsheet (you have one, right…?) dusted off and plan to join a bunch of your MECA brothers and their kids on our first ever F3 Dads Camping trip.
- Friday May 15th – Sunday May 17th
- Plan to arrive up there anytime from 1PM to 10PM on Friday.
- We will depart around noon on Sunday, maybe do a hike, likely grab lunch in Black Mountain, and you will be home by 5 or 6PM.
- Montreat Campground: http://www.montreat.org/stay/camping/
- 401 Assembly Drive, Montreat, NC, 28757
- Reservations can be made on-line. The link is on the page found at the URL above.
- Campground map can be found here: http://www.montreat.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Campground-Map.jpg
- Looking at making this a Dads and kids trip. Give your M a weekend off.
As of RIGHT NOW, there is great availability for this weekend. I would select from the following campsites: 12, 10, 4, 6, 11, and 2. Those are all nice sites. If those are taken by the time your lazy rear end gets to making reservations, then try to grab other ones close by so that we keep our camping AO tight.
- UPDATE: 2/13/15: All the lower sites along the creek are now taken. Next best sites depend on how you want to roll.
You can grab the ones on the non-creek side directly across from the current F3 sites (1, 3, 5, 7, 9) and be close by all the action and plan to hang out at the creek side sites most of the time (which we will do anyway)OR you can reserve sites further up the road. The only bummer about being further up the road is that it is a decent distance away and it will be a pain for you to walk back and forth when you forget that “thing” and you will feel a bit more disconnected from what is going on. Sites 14 – 18 might be ok choices since they are close. 23 – 29 might as well be another campground – they are a ways up there.
- UPDATE: 3/4/15: 13 pax are HC and Montreat has no idea what is coming…. The only lower site left is site 3. It is non-creek side but in the fray with the rest of the pax. Next best site is 15 to be close to center of mass of our group. From there I would suggest staying creek side and going north; 19 and up…
HC below via comments and let us know what site you are in.